Thursday, January 1, 2009

2008…A Year in Review

As everyone knows, I am a huge sports fan. Many people are calling 2008 one of the most memorable years in sports in history. Well, the year 2008 was not as kind to me individually. I had some rough times, but I think they only made me stronger and wiser. Now, don't get me wrong, I had a lot of fun this year but I also had some struggles that I would rather move past and start fresh. The year started off pretty good until I was involved in my first wreck that was my fault. I hit a lady on the interstate and jacked up my new car. L I got that fixed and then a few weeks later I was caught speeding and received my second ticket ever (first was due to the wreck). Needless to say I learned that one should not speed and I am the one in the slow lane most of the time now. J Then I decided to punish myself and apply for grad school and start in the fall at the University of Central Oklahoma. I was accepted to the MBA program and began my first semester in August. I knew there was going to be a lot of work involved in the whole process but I didn't know I would be reading entire textbooks in weeks, much less the entire semester. I don't think I have ever finished an entire textbook in a class and we finished two plus read about 45 articles. I met some fun people in my class and I hope I will be able to keep the friendships as we move through the program. I was able to stay focused while also working full time (overtime most of the semester) and make an A in the class. I was pretty proud of that accomplishment. I was so proud of myself that I enrolled in two classes for the spring semester. When I thought the year was almost over and it was going to turn out to be pretty decent, I jacked my car up again. I was headed to work and hit some ice and my car decided that it didn't want to make the turn. I hit the curb and pretty much made my car where it didn't want to go straight anymore. I did more damage this time than in my first wreck. I also found out that when you pay your deductible for auto insurance, it's for each claim. Yes, that means you have to pay your deductible each time you file a claim. Granted, most people don't have more than one claim in a year, but if for some reason you do, be ready to pay again. So, I was without a car for two weeks over Christmas. I also cracked a tooth right before Christmas and had to have crown.


 

Everything that happened this year was not all bad, but as you can tell, they were events that will make an impression on the year. When I look back on the year, I will remember the wrecks and tickets, but I will also remember that OU went to the National Championship game and that Sam Bradford won the Heisman Trophy over Colt McCoy. I will also remember that my brother-in-law came home safely from a deployment in Iraq. I will also remember my first semester of grad school. I will also remember that precious Kyla was born this year and she is one of the cutest and happiest babies.


 

I am looking forward to 2009 because I don't think it can be any worse than 2008. I am going to continue my quest of completing my master's as well and continuing to work full time. Hopefully at some point I will not be living with my mother and I will meet someone special. I think I will look at this New Year as a time to make things better for myself. I am going to cherish my friends and spend as much time with them as possible. I am also going to rearrange my bedroom furniture and start the New Year off with a new perspective.


 

Happy New Year to all. I hope you have as much fun with it as you can.


 

Boomer Sooner!!! Beat the Gators!!!

No comments: