Wednesday, June 22, 2011

MIA or just M???

So, it's been a while.  A lot has been going on.  That's a lie.  I've just neglected to blog lately.  To make up for it though, here is a rundown of what has been going on in my life.

Last week was crazy.  It all started on Tuesday night with something called a "downburst" or a "microburst".  I don't really know what it was called, but it was not fun.  I lost power at the house around 7:30 and just hung out in the dark for the rest of the night.  I've never lost power for an extended period of time so I thought I would be ok.  I could just play on my phone for a while and then it would be back on and all would be good.  Well, all was not good.  I didn't charged my phone at work that day and had run the battery down while listening to music at work (I was around 30% battery at this point).  So me being the smart person I am, I decided I would charge my phone on my laptop.  Well, I quickly realized my laptop wasn't fully charged either.  That battery was also around 30%.  So, I charged my phone as much as I could and hoped it would last throughout the night.  It got up to about 40%.  That didn't last long though because people were trying to check on me and all that stuff.  I set the alarm on my phone and went to bed.

The next morning, I still didn't have power and my phone was at about 8% battery.  I couldn't make it to work.  I took a shower by flashlight and packed my blow dyer and flatiron and went to work.  Yes, I had to fix my hair and put my make-up on at work.  Needless to say, it was not my best hair day.  I made it through the work day though.  I decided I would go to the gym before coming home.  Kandi was an awesome sister and came by the house to check on Boomer and the rest of the house.  Still no power.  On my way home from the gym, I realized just how bad the storm the night before was.  I saw Channel 4 news on the way home.  While laying in the hammock for a while (it felt better outside than it did inside), I saw Channel 5's helicopter circling my neighborhood.  They were all trying to get footage of the storm damage.  They were as close as they were going to get to the downed power poles on 12th & Robinson.  I then decided that since the neighbors were working in their yard, maybe I should work in mine.  So, I swept the driveway and raked up the leaves in the front yard.

I knew it was going to be hot on Thursday, so I took Boomer to Mom's the spend the night Wednesday night.  I think he enjoyed that.  So, I get up Wednesday and get ready for work in the dark again.  I had washed my hair the night before so I didn't think about it.  Well, I have this little swirly thing going on in the back of my head and sometimes the hair likes to stick out.  Sam was not too nice when he saw me Thursday morning.  He made it known that I was definitely NOT having a good hair day.  Oh well, what can you do?  Another uneventful day at work and what do I come home to?  Still no power.  There were only 700 people in Norman left without power and I was one of them.  But having dinner with the Kiker's and Mom made the night that much better.  Power was finally restored 46 hours later and all is now ok.

So, what did I learn from this?  Always be prepared with a charged phone.  Either that or get a charger for the car.  And be ready for any type of storm.  That stuff was scary.  I was ready to get in the closet.  I also learned that I have some of the BEST friends and family anyone could ask for.  I don't know how many offered a bed or an air mattress or a spot on the floor so I wouldn't have to stay at home.  I appreciated all of it!!!  You guys are AWESOME!!!!!

Good news though...I had a job interview at work for a position in HR.  I'm hoping it went OK.  I have a second meeting with them in the morning so hopefully they will make a decision soon.  Positive thoughts!!!

So, now you know why I've been missing lately.  Or you probably didn't even notice...

No comments: