Monday, May 30, 2011

Running and running and running...

I'm finally getting back in the habit of working out again.  It helps that I have someone at the gym waiting on me.  Jessica, a girl from work, has joined the same gym as me and is going to start working out with me.  This is going to help me because it will give me a reason to go to the gym instead of making excuses not to go.  I also bought a new pair of running shoes over the weekend.  Normally, I buy a pair of shoes that I intend to run in but I also use them for everyday shoes.  This new pair is only for running though.  I will use my other pair for everyday use.  So, this means I actually bought shoes that were meant for running.  I have never done that before.  I used them this morning and could actually tell a difference.  They were much lighter and were very comfortable.

So, when I run outside, I usually get about 4 miles in.  When I'm on the treadmill at the gym I don't get that much in.  This is usually because I become obsessed with watching the numbers that I can't help making myself go faster and then slowing down.  I can't keep a steady pace on a treadmill.  It's probably a good thing though. 

I had planned on running in a 5k with Paris on June 25th, but found out my family reunion is that evening.  Normally this wouldn't be a problem because 5k's are usually in the morning, but this one is actually a night run.  Oh well, there will be more in the future.  I think I am going to run/walk the Memorial half marathon next year.  That is my current goal.  Who knows, by then things might change.  That is what I am working toward right now though.  Ok, it's out there for the world to know so I can't back out now. 

Until then though, I am going to keep working out and running and hopefully I can get in good enough shape that I can run 4 miles straight without having to stop and walk.  It doesn't help though that lately I have been having to run into the wind and up a hill at the same time.  Not cool.  But maybe that is just helping me get the muscles back in my legs.

Until next time my friends...

No comments: